Monday, January 25, 2016

Two Weeks In

Today marks two weeks since I began my program. I still need to write a few posts I haven't had time to write, but I wanted to take a moment and reflect on the last two weeks.

It's amazing how different things are from how I expected them to be. I've been to the parks several times, but they're not the only place I go. My roommates birthday is today, and I remember thinking it was so far out from our start date. Yet here we are. I've hardly worked (I had my first day of OJT yesterday!) and yet I feel like I've done nothing but work. I haven't made it to a single park opening, because I'm constantly exhausted. It's still less work than camp, for sure, but it's also a different kind of work that takes getting used to. I've never had a problem making friends, finding people with similar interests, but its' hard here because everyone has a crazy schedule.

I never expected my roommates to get tired of me so quickly. I know, I'm a lot. I'm loud and excited and I talk fast and often. I enjoy life and don't spend a lot of time thinking about if other people like that or not. They can, and generally do, adjust. But I never expected my roommates to not adjust, to refuse, to just stop responding when I talk to them. I never expected to feel uncomfortable in my own home, But I guess sometimes things happen.

I never thought I'd be so grateful for the opportunity to be here, but so very homesick. I itch at times, waiting for an adventure, and then other times I feel like it would take to much effort to even crawl out of bed.

I never expected that these first two weeks would fly by. Everyone talks about how much they drag on. How you don't work much the first week and that even after that it's a slow start. But for me it feels like yesterday that I was checking in and getting ready to start the adventure of a lifetime.


I never expected I would be vated so often. My trainers vatted me all day yesterday, and have let me know I'll be getting in the pool again today. But I also never expected I'd be so good at my job. Sitting still and being quiet aren't in my nature. But there is more guest interaction than I ever expected and I love watching the kids splash around in the pool all day.

So no, this isn't where I thought I would be. Is that a bad thing? Not really. It just is. I've learned to stop expecting things from the future, and to just start rolling with it. So here's to hoping for a great rest of my program, and for you as well.

Related Articles

3 comments:

  1. Your roommates will obviously not be lifelong friends. You have made so many great, lifelong friends from all over the world and already so many great people at Disney. Forget the roommate situation. Good people adjust. Good people talk about problems. Good people worth knowing don't dislike you within a week. All of those other people you know? THEY are the people worth investing your time, interest and future with. You are right though to not predict the future. What fun is that anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, and you do have one really great roommate ... stick with her.

      Delete
  2. Keep your chin up, Hannah. One of the great lessons of being an adult is to love who and what you are, and that what others think of you really doesn't matter all that much. You will make plenty of friends at Disney, and they will be friends worth making. Your roommates are losing out on a great buddy. You are Disney personified. Uncle Walt would say so too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts