Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Explanation, Catching Up, and Getting Happy


Oh man! Life has been crazy. I feel like I haven't had a single chance to sit down and clear my head since we got here. Between work and training (we're always training as lifeguards...) I've been running around every second of everyday. 3 days a week I get up, go to work, come home and sleep (I work 11 hours a day right now, so I'm gone 13 hours a day). Lifeguards have 4 hours of in service training to fulfill every month, but we've been picking up extras for extra hours. Then I've been trying to fit every minute I can into my days off.. when I'm not sitting on the couch.


To be honest, the reason I haven't been writing or online is because I've been hiding. Hiding from my roommates, hiding from the world. I've been depressed, and I allowed it to take it's toll on me. My roommate situation is bad. Very bad. I only get along with one of the five of them, and I don't feel comfortable in my own apartment. It's hostile and everyone blames all of the problems in the apartment on me, so I don't feel safe or welcome. I've contemplated asking for a voluntary move several times, but I know other people who have much worse roommate situations, and I don't want to put myself in that position.

But I've decided I won't let them effect me anymore. These negative, hateful people don't get to have a say in my life anymore. They don't get to bring me down and ruin the experience for me. I'm standing up for me. We can coexist without ever having to talk or speak or look at each other... right?

Despite all the negativity and depression, there have been several good points!
Jambo House Pool

Samawati Springs Splash Pad - Kidani Village


One of the many over looks at DAKL
My Coronado Springs training group - 6 lifeguards!
Kidani Village Pool


For example, I love my job! I love my co-workers, I love my managers, I love my coordinators. Life at DACO (Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge/Coronado Springs Rec department is called DACO) isn't always perfect but it's pretty close to it. My coordinators like me, everyone is so incredibly helpful and nice, it's wonderful. Disney is in the middle of undergoing some big changes and DACO is working really hard to make it not so painful for us.
Saludos Amigos!


I loved going through the resort orientation and learning about both of the resorts. Learning the stories behind each resort and the way they go above and beyond. I love learning about each of the pools. For example, at DAKL, Jambo House has a bigger pool, but Kidani Village has a better slide. I love that I can use that information to help guests and send them to where they need to go. I love listening to kids flying down the slide laughing hysterically, screaming "THIS IS AWESOME!" and knowing every word to the pool party playlist and singing along with the kids who inevitably congregate under my stand.
The lanterns at DAKL stay on day and night to help our guests find their way home

Most regions went back to spring hours on March 5, but DACO stayed in winter hours, so 3 days a week I open and close our pool. I even love the guests, despite some crazy experiences. (For example, one lady tried to push me into the pool because I was in her picture, while a different day a man announced loudly to his buddies that I am too fat and ugly to be a lifeguard... oh goodness). So I've had lot's of time to myself, which I've tried to take advantage of!
 
Spaceship Earth is one of my favorite rides, even if I do regularly call it "The Golf Ball"
Haunted Mansion

Streets of America... I can never seem to find the time to just go to Hollywood Studios...

All you need is a little faith, trust, and coffee.

I've spent the most time in EPCOT, but I've ridden Haunted Mansion the most, and my favorite ride is still Pirates (which isn't just because my sister works there). I've only gone and gotten beignets once, but I've had zebra domes three times. Animal Kingdom has my favorite show, Festival of the Lion King, which I try and see once a week. But Mickey's PhilharMagic is a close second, and I've only seen that once.
Frying pans, who knew!

France pavilion in EPCOT

Tree of Life - how many animals can you spot?

Main Street USA

One of the families I use to nanny came and saw me last week! O and B are 8 and 4 (almost 5!!!) and I was almost positive B (the 4 year old) wouldn't remember me. When I walked up to them in the Lego store in Disney Springs the night they got there, however, O screamed and B hugged and hugged me, and then kept looking at me like I was going to disappear. They came into town late one night, went to Magic Kingdom the next day, and left the day after. I meet up with them around noon and we flew around the park the way you don't really do when you work here. we did 18 rides, 10 character encounters, 3 shows, 2 parades, fireworks, and so much more. It was good to spend a day with people who love me unconditionally.
So...much...candy...
Homemade marshmallows!

For Valentines day, my Mama sent me a huge box full chocolates and gummies and my favorite chocolate covered gummy bears from a local candy factory! Best of all, though, she sent me a bag of homemade peppermint marshmallows, which are like gold in our family. I also got a cute card from my puppy, Ginger, who seems to know when I'm on the phone with my mom, because she stick's her head into the phone every time.



Two of my roommates and I tried to go to EPCOT to meet princes on Valentines day, but that was a bust. However, I did get to meet my twin (Snow White) who everyone always tells me I look like! I've meet several characters over the last month, though my favorite was when I met Mickey at Tusker House!








One day I tried to go to the post office and ended up on an adventure! Celebration is a cute little town that reminds me of a lake town in Michigan without my beautiful lake. I suppose that's why I fell in love with it at first sight. I haven't spent a lot of time there, but I have plans to go back for market day! Things in Florida are a lot different than at home, and sometimes you just need a piece of home (or in my case, you need a piece of home a lot.)
Lunch at The Mara at DAKL

Sushi in the Japan Pavillion

Hard cider from Rose and Crown

Uno's Pizza!


I am, without a doubt, a "foodie" (even though I HATE that word...) I love food, but most of all I love flavor. One of my favorite things about Disney is how many different flavors there are, and how easy it is for me to eat. Macaroons in France, beignets at Port Orleans, and zebra domes at Animal Kingdom Lodge are just a few of my favorite things here is Disney. However, my best find was Uno's Pizzeria chain. No, it's not the real Uno's. But guess what: it is real Chicago pizza. It has a nice thin crust with a great sweet sauce, and it's relatively cheap and close to the apartments!
Bits and pieces of the Flower and Garden festival are starting to show up!

I'm excited for the things to come. Tomorrow my two Disney classes start, and I managed to sign up for the two classes I want during the next mini semester. My mom and grandpa arrive March 3rd, just in time for Flower and Garden Festival, which is my favorite time to be in EPCOT. The first time I went to EPCOT was during Flower and Garden and it's hard to go when it's not all decked out and beautiful. But mostly, I'm looking forward to being happy, to not allowing others to take control of my life. Here's to taking control of my future.

Related Articles

1 comment:

  1. Finally. Only happy, positive people from here on out. You have some of the most kind, supportive, honest friends a person who hope to have ... from all over the world no less ... don't even allow this to define your Disney experience. Especially because you've made some spectacular friends outside of your home there. Hang with them ... absorb their positive energy to get you through those time you spend at your hovel.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts