Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Making Decisions: Where To Stay And When To Get There

   If you've recently been accepted into the Disney College Program, you're probably anxious to be making plans! Or maybe you're not super, psycho obsessive about planning like I am. I can't help it, I'm excited, and I accept this flaw in myself! Although I myself have never done the Disney College Program, I know a lot of people who have, including my sister! Last spring we took the trip down to Orlando to drop my sister off for her program, and I swear I planned as much for her program as I am for my own! (And also her's, because she is going back! She checks in the week after me!)

Where Should I Stay?
    Weather you stay on or off property, where to stay is a big decisions! Okay, maybe not, but there are somethings to take into consideration!

   Your first thought is probably going to be to stay at the closest hotel to Vista Way (Holiday Inn), where we'll be checking in. DON'T DO IT! Okay, okay, maybe I'm being a tad dramatic. It's a very lovely hotel, and if you have to walk to Vista, it's your best choice. The thing is, the Holiday Inn isn't really worth it. It's more expensive than staying on property at one of the value resorts, and even if you don't have a ride to Vista, you'll be saving more staying on property than you will spend on a taxi. So, there's that. Walking across the street is not recommended, as it's a major road. Also, driving to Vista, you have to take a right out of the parking lot, just before a stoplight, where lovely Orlando drivers will let a car through once about every 15 minutes. You'll have to drive a couple miles down the road and make a U-Turn (on the crazy busy road), and go back past your hotel to get to Vista. It's...no. It's not worth it. To top it all off, we stayed there last January when my sister checked in and the manger in the attached Applebee's thought it was appropriate to follow a waitress onto the floor as she was working and continue to scream at her/threaten to fire her for asking to switch shifts with another waitress. When we expressed our concern to the waitress, she said it is a regular occurrence and when we spoke with the manager, he showed no remorse for his actions so... you know, not someplace I'll ever be supporting again.

   So, where should you stay? Your best bet, especially if you're flying, it to stay on Disney property. Utilizing the Magical Express (which is free!) can save you money on a shuttle or cab from the airport! No matter how you're getting to Disney, staying on property is a great way to begin the magic! Disney hotels, weather Value or Deluxe, are filled to the brim with magic, and mostly a fairly short distance away from Vista Way! If you're looking for the best value, All Star Sports tends to be the cheapest, though all of the All Star resorts tend to be within $10-$15 of each other. Booking through a website like Orbitz or Expedia can sometimes get you more of a discount, but just beware that you will also probably need to pay the total upfront. Disney itself offers good early spring discounts, and you only have to pay upfront for the first night of your stay.

   Personally, my favorite resort is Port Orleans French Quarter! (Okay, I've only stayed at Riverside, but we spent all of our free time at French Quarter!) All Star Movies is my favorite value resort, and the Contemporary is my favorite Deluxe! (Although, I also really love the Polynesian...) The fact of the matter is, if you stay on Disney property, you're going to have a great time! Currently, the cheapest room on the WDW website is Pop Century, at $88/night, and $79/night on Orbitz. Orbitz also has a deal going on right now where if you stay 2+ nights, you get 15% off, so do with that what you will!

   Personally, I am pretty sure my family (Mom, sister, Papa, and I) are going to be starting off at Pop Century for a couple days before moving to Port Orleans (or one of the other moderates). Because my sister is checking in a week after me, my family is going to arrive in Orlando on 1/10 (the day before check in) and leaving on 1/18, the day she checks in. I plan on spending the first couple nights in my new apartment (!!!!!!!!!) and then when they move over to Port Orleans I'll go with them. Because, well... beignets, obviously!

When Should I Get There?

   Mostly this is a personal decision, depending on how much you want to spend/what's best for you. Maybe you want to spend a couple days before you check in exploring Orlando, or maybe you want to get there right before because you're CRAZY BUSY at home getting ready. The choice is yours! My one very, very strong suggestion is, whatever you do, don't try and fly in the morning you are supposed to check in. That is just asking for disaster, and if you miss check in because of a missed connection delayed flights, or bad weather, well, that's it for you. So plan on getting to Orlando at least the day before, and make sure you know how you're going to be getting to your hotel and then to Vista on check in day. Be prepared for unexpected delays, no matter if you're fly or driving!

   If you do decide to go early, I recommend taking the time to explore Downtown Disney (Errr, Disney Springs. That feels weird) I love the parks, but why pay $100 to get in for the day when you're going to be getting in for free soon? Disney Springs has a lot to do and explore! Bowling, movie theaters, dinner spots, live entertainment and more! (I sound like an ad, I know, I just love Disney, okay?) If you have the time, try and have dinner at Raglan Road one night! They have great fish and chips, and live river dancing most nights! It's a ton of fun! Growing up, my dad lived in one of the Irish neighborhoods on the South Side of Chicago, and so I grew up eating real Irish food. Fish and chips are one of the many thing's I've missed since being diagnosed with Celiac, but Raglan Road's gluten free fish and chips taste the same to this Irish girl! Whatever you decide to do in Disney Springs, you're sure to have a blast!

   Feel free to stop by and say hello if you're looking for a friend, or have any questions you need answered! I am going to be continuing this decision making series of the next couple weeks, so let me know if you have any questions! Also, I've considered making a vlog to compliment the blog, but I'm not sure if people would watch? Let me know what you think! I can't wait to see you real soon!

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts